Peter M. Shannon, the founder of Peter Shannon & Co.
Peter M. Shannon immigrated from Ireland in 1920. He received the CPA certification in 1936 while working from the basement of his personal residence. He opened his first office at 77 W. Washington Street, Chicago and created a partnership under the name of “Peter Shannon & Co.” In order to accommodate the growing business, a one-story office building was built in 1948 at 5500 S. Damen Avenue, Chicago followed by a second floor addition a decade later. This building housed not only the accounting business but also the “Shannon School of Commerce” where he taught accounting, typing, and stenography to the employees.
Succession of Peter Shannon & Co.
Upon his retirement in 1969, the partnership was succeeded by several partners together with Bernard F. Hester. In 1975, the firm moved to 2 Salt Creek Lane, Hinsdale where a computer technology was implemented to promote accuracy and efficiency.
A third generation of ownership began in 1987, when John L. Dyer and Roger G. Zmrhal became partners, joined by Steven S. Grant in 1996. After a long pursuit for a property to hold the future of Peter Shannon & Co., our new office was beautifully constructed at 6412 Joliet Road, Countryside in 2008.
In 2012, Tara A. Skole also became a partner, joined by Hailey R. Letts, Timothy J. Komenda and Elaine T. McDermott in 2021. All of our partners have spent most of their adult lives with Peter Shannon & Co. and continue carrying on its legacy.